Labels

beekeeping (2) garden (15) recipes (1)

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Obsession: One Woman's Journey to Find the Perfect Finishes, DAMN YOU "SARAH'S HOUSE"!!

I love that door. I have no use for it but I love it. I always stare at the pretty blue paint aging in the weather outside my favorite antique spot. Ok gotta focus...MUST. FIND. TILE. MUSTFINDTILE. I've been obsessively searching for the perfect tile for the main level half bath for weeks and weeks now. Shoot me. The problem is- I have no idea of what I want to do design wise in there. I bought an antique looking pedestal sink-
And I'm going with sconces on either side of a mirror above it. Here are the sconces I picked-


And I'm thinking an old mirror like this one-



The problem is- so far I've kept things pretty neutral throughout, various shades of white, marble, travertine tans, beiges and so on.  I want to have fun with the half bath but still keep it in the farmhouse theme.  The REAL problem is me watching WAY too much "Sarah's House" on HGTV lately. 


In her new season, she's bought a farmhouse on a bunch of acres (LIKE ME!) and is renovating it room by room (LIKE ME!) and has fabulous design experience (*crickets*) and a fabulous gay friend/design partner who helps her and they laugh and laugh (*crickets and tear for the gay friend I can't find*). Sarah and Tommy recently did a very cool farmhouse bathroom and used prints I never would have-


They chose traditional beadboard, a vessel sink, an oldey type mirror but then she punched it up with a great bird print wallpaper and an awesome brass piece that she had made into a light. My problem is making the tiles I pick for the floor 1. very affordable and 2. interesting and pretty and 3. understated enough that they allow me to select whatever wallpaper I want later without being a distraction. Meh!

I keep coming back to this...


but grout is NOT a friend to any high traffic area like a main level half bath.  I need more inspiration.


That's a little too formal. Need more farm. 


That could work...beige marble could tie into the dark brown hardwoods nicely and still work with beadboard. I want a border design which is a whole other reason why this is so hard. AND I need it by this weekend. 

Look how awesome this pantry door is, THIS is exactly what I'm trying to do!


I found a place online that makes thousands of old reproduction screen doors. That door looks like a 2 footer...hmm. 

I also need to find, ready?, here we go:

- 3 chandeliers
- sconces for the master and shared bath
- bath accessories like towel bars, hooks
- granite for the kitchen
- marble for the master vanity
- a mailbox and mailbox stand
- a bidet
- a fireplace mantel
- stylish radiator covers

So much to do. I need decorator friends to fall from the sky. NOW. *Preferably gay*

When I get stressed out I look at photos of progress from the house to lift my spirits!


The hardwoods have been patched over where the old stairs used to be and throughout the kitchen.
 

The drywall is almost 100% up, this is the shared full bath. I LOVE the solar tube. Great way to spend $300. 



This is the front door entry. I loathe that front door but have to save a buck by repainting it and removing those god-awful stained glass panels. The floor at the entry will be tile. I selected a design to go in the center of travertine-


I'm setting it at an angle to make the space seem less boxy. 

I'm heading out there pretty early so I've gotta rest up but here are some before and halfway-done pics of the main living area.

BEFORE: 

View of the main room, kitchen, old hallway, front door and horrid open staircase/deathtrap. 
 


View from the front door looking at the side door leading to the porch. 



HALFWAY DONE:

New layout with hallway at the left of the structure where our foreman "CQ" is standing.


No more staircase deathtrap!

More tomorrow. -Sarah

1 comment:

clo*bee said...

Holy crap. See what happens when a cute little dog comes out to "help" you? :)