Labels

beekeeping (2) garden (15) recipes (1)

Sunday, June 27, 2010

A/C Love and Snake Hate Crimes


It's still crazy hot outside which is why I about fainted when the contractors told me the A/C was on upstairs. Granted, we aren't living upstairs yet, but we're still grateful! All the house work was supposed to have been completed by last week but there have been little things here and there that have delayed the process. I'm hoping the Money Pit mantra of "two weeks" will actually apply here!

The big step in the last few days was the kitchen faucet going in and the master shower door and mirror getting installed. We chose the higher end option for the faucet and the shower door and it really has made a difference. I just like staring at the kitchen faucet. It's so pretty and since we're always covered in dirt and sweaty these days it takes me to a place in my mind where everything is nicer and cleaner!

We've been told we can use the master shower if we want but things are still in disarray in there, dust all over, hammers and caulking guns laying around so I'll wait. It wouldn't do the shower justice!



The mirror-



They're coming back to replace that outlet cover with a mirrored one, the sconces will all be installed next week and I'm going to frame the mirror myself with trim from HD.

Louis bought a table saw and we're going to make the screen door I found fit into the porch opening by shaving it down an inch. Hopefully we don't screw it up too bad!

We met with a landscaper about what we can do to make the property look better and quickly realized how expensive landscapers are. SO- I bought some half priced hydrangeas and did a little landscaping job of my own with free mulch from the local dump. I'm just going to work my way around the house planting whatever I can this year and hopefully get a jump on it next spring. 



You know those people who make you look at tons of pictures of their newborn babies? So annoying right? Well I'm getting like that with my baby watermelons so enjoy the newest pics!


See the tiny green watermelon directly below my shoe? There are tons all over the field now! I decided to start watering them every night instead of every other night since it's so dry and now they're going crazy. 


The blooms and baby watermelons they leave behind just keep coming! At least someone is enjoying the heat wave. 


Things are going well in the garden save for two plants. Eggplant and Artichoke. Those are my two unruly goth teens who skulk about all day and refuse to tell me what's wrong. 

Eggplant-
 
Eggplant is a handful. It says it likes full sun but looks miserable and refuses to bloom. 

Artichoke-


The picture says it all. Pathetic. Again, it says it likes full sun but won't grow and mopes around. I have two so I may dig one up and try growing it in a container on the porch where everything is thriving. 

I spend most of my garden time with the goal of keeping things alive and yet the day that I go out to run errands and leave Louis and Farmer John unattended is the day I return to hear a horrible story....

Here's the thing- since moving to the farm I've tried to let things live that in the city I wouldn't have. Spiders live because they eat the flies, weird bugs live because they feed the frogs and while I expect to run across a snake any day I would just turn and walk away because snakes are very useful on a farm or anywhere really. Snakes eat mice and rats and unlike some of our neighbors, we haven't seen any mice or rats around or in the house. Sure, I'd kill a poisonous snake like a copperhead but not a garter or black snake. Those are worth gold out here! 

So back to the story- I walk in from my errand and Louis chirps. "Me and Farmer John killed a huuuge black snake in the barn! We shot it!" 

Me: Why did you kill it? 

Louis: I dunno, it scared us. 

Me: *eyeroll* and *sigh* 

Poor snake. Louis promised not to kill anymore and hopefully we won't see any mice now that the big snake that was probably dining on them all is gone. 

I've seen a ton of deer recently, in the picture below you can barely make them out but two deer are in the field behind the house. We let the grass grow because Farmer John is supposed to put some horses back there any day now. Until then, it's a deer playground. 









No comments: