Labels

beekeeping (2) garden (15) recipes (1)

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Tractor Whisperer



I wonder how many other people drove a tractor while listening to Lady Gaga today...I'm betting more than you'd think. That's right, today was "learn to drive the tractor day" and it rocked. 

After weeks of yard work and garden maintenance with Louis driving the tractor in the background, I decided enough was enough and the roles were switching. Oh, the clutch is tricky? It's loud huh? Hard to learn is it? Sounds like a job someone is trying to keep for themselves! Man was I right, tractor "work" is a LOT more fun and much easier than digging, hoeing and planting! 

Our tractor is old and therefore fearful of sudden movements and change but once I got the hang of it I had a fantastic time cutting the grass in neat rows! 




The bad thing about the tractor is how slow it is- a speed walker with a limp would have lapped me. There is a higher gear but according to Louis it's similar to lightspeed on the Millennium Falcon. That means I'll have to try it when he's not around. Which reminds me- why don't they make those "I've fallen and I can't get up" necklaces for farmers? I need to look into it. 

When I was done with the yard I watered the garden with our newly attached hose to the well on the property. No more paying for garden water! 

The squash blossoms are still blossoming away and the watermelon vines look like they're trying to take over the world. I'll take a picture of the bean seedlings tomorrow, they're growing like weeds. I see lots of beans in our future. 

 Squash blossoms!


The contractors are allllmost done with the house. Sometimes I forget anything exists besides the one room we live in on the lower level!  

The showers, sinks and toilets are all functional now. Here's the master shower in all its glory!



 I love that shower. I saw it on an HGTV remodel show and found a similar one at a plumbing outlet online. Like I said, the house the internet built! Here's a wider angle pic-



Technically we could use that shower but without the shower door it'd be a mess. It's getting installed tomorrow so we can wait! 

Speaking of being inspired by shows- I am HOOKED on and IN LOVE with a new Planet Green show called, "The Fabulous Beekman Boys".



Much thanks to my mom for telling me to watch it! It's about two Manhattanites who buy a farm in upstate NY despite not knowing anything about farming. They too have a "Farmer John" who they rely on for advice and know-how and anything else they wonder about gets googled. 

It's a great show because as wonderfully entertaining as they are, the message is about eating locally and knowing where your food comes from. They're trying to make a living off their farm in a very similar way to what Louis and I have talked about- goats! 

www.beekman1802.com is their website where they blog and sell soaps and cheese both made of goats' milk. It's convincing me to buy goats because apparently goats like hugs and that sounds awesome. 


No comments: